Tuesday 14 February 2012

Amici - Holland Village

WE HAVE DONE IT AGAIN...
we have failed all of our readers...
and it's all because of our
sheer LAZINESS!!! 

Actually, Huiyi has started working full-time, so she has an excuse, but for me!! I've just been having too much fun over the last 2 months in Singapore that I neglected Fab and Famished!!:(
But I've decided that we need to get back on track and I am determined to become a consistent blogger!!! YAY! 

So, for those who have still continued to check Fab and Famished regularly, but was disappointed each time, thank you sooo much for your support and we hope that from now on, each time you come back to visit our site, you will be delighted by a new blog post to read so that you can join us on our gastronomic adventures as well! 

Anyway! Sometime in January, Huiyi and I were going to have a lovely date back in Singapore as I hadn't seen in her quite a while! We couldn't decide where to eat at first but finally decided on Amici at Holland Village after reading some good reviews about it. 

I'm not sure why, but I rarely go to Holland Village. In fact, the last time that I had been before Amici was when I was in primary 6 or something??!?!?! But anyway, I felt it seemed so nice when I was there! And I thought to myself  "no wonder all the tourists like it! I always thought it was just overrated". Haha. 
Even Coffee Bean was cool there. Instead of the usual Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, it was called CBTL. Something that Huiyi and I couldn't stop LOL-ing about! 

Ok, enough of my crazy ramblings! 

Before we reached Amici, there were a lot of "promoters" of Amici hanging around Holland Village and one of them came to us and offered us some special promotion that allowed us to order anything and get a buy one get one free kinda deal. The price was about $30 if I'm not wrong and we could order ANYTHING on the menu and also we would get a free whole cake or bottle of wine with it and the validity on the card was up till May 2012. So we thought, hey good deal eh! Since the mains were all quite expensive already and also because we felt that we could use it again, so we were SOLD. So we walked away and headed to Amici...



The outside of Amici. Very quaint and cute! 

The interior of the restaurant was nice and cosy, probably because of the narrowness of the restaurant and the dim lighting. Up till that point, the restaurant seemed promising, so I awaited dinner with great expectations!

We took a look at the menu and finally decided on the the Grilled Beef Tenderloin and the Aragosta alla griglia as they were both worth $39.90 which we felt would totally utilize our buy one get one free promotion! (actually we didn't need to think much because the promoter kept asking us to order this anyway. haha)


Grilled Beef Tenderloin (200g) (S$39.90)

*Apologies for the lousy quality pictures because we both didn't have our cameras with us! 

The beef definitely fell below my expectations as the meat was not very tender and the dish was just very unspectacular! Although there wasn't anything in particular that was wrong with the dish, there was also nothing that made us go WOW.  There are soooo many other places with better steaks, so Amici would definitely not win the prize for best steak! 



The working professional! 


The chillax slacker 


 Aragosta alla griglia (S$39.90)
Which was basically lobster with aglio olio! Out of the 2 dishes that we ordered, I definitely preferred this. The pasta was nice and tasty and the lobster was buttery and yummy! 
However, even though I enjoyed it, it was also nothing to RAVE about it or come back for either. 

The main reason why I was so disappointed with Amici was not because of the food but because of the extremely horrible service. To start things off, the waiter that took our order did not seem to have ANY clue about the promotion that we just bought and kept having to run off and ask someone else and even when we asked him to describe some other things on the menu, he was absolutely CLUELESS. It was so annoying! Then, we waited REALLY long for our food. I normally am quite a patient diner especially when I am with my friends because I'll usually be talking A LOT (especially when I haven't seen someone in ages). But!!! Even though I was happily talking to Huiyi that night, I kept thinking about when our food was ever going to come out!!! I think we waited at least half an hour to 45 minutes for it to finally make its grand debut. 
And to top it all off, the lady who gave us our bill was so rude! She didn't even say anything to us, let alone look at us! Can't really describe what she did because it was mostly her body language that was very rude! 

So all in all, dinner at Amici was very disappointing. 

Price:
Pastas range from $20 to $30
Mains range from $20 to $40

The Meal:
I was very disappointed with the meal. Perhaps it was because I had high expectations or perhaps it was just not very good. Definitely have had better pastas and steaks at other places. On top of that, without our promotion, I felt that the meal was totally not worth it! Would much rather have had a steak at Spize at Simpang or River Valley that costs less than half the price! (however, just had the steak there that day and it has become pretty bad too!!!) 

The Ambience:
The place was cute and cosy and I liked how cute it looked from the outside. However, this was their only saving grace as the restaurant was greatly lacking in all other areas. 

The Service:
I found the service was extremely poor. From the incredibly long wait for our meal to come, to the waiter not knowing ANYTHING on the menu and lastly to not even getting a smile at the end, the service at Amici definitely was below par and is one aspect that needs to be improved on STAT. 

Overall
Dinner at Amici was made better by the good company. But there wasn't anything much to hide the fact that the food was very average and the service staff was in dire need of training. 

Address:
275 Holland Avenue, Holland Village 

Telephone:
64699989

Opening Hours:
Mon - Thur: 11.30am- 3pm, 6pm-11pm
Fri-Sat: 11.30am-11.30pm
Sun: 11.30am- 11pm

Amici Menu:


I'm glad to be blogging again! Till next time! :)

Love, Tiff 

2 comments:

  1. And... Perhaps I love you Tiff... PERHAPS...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo u should have gone with both Mel & Caroline (Cousins whut whut^^)wherein Mel would have written in to management and Caroline would have "bad service" face and uploaded an angry review on hungrygowhere immediately!

    ReplyDelete