Thursday 12 April 2012

Baker & Cook - Greenwood


Recently, there have been so many new cute little cafes opening up all over Singapore! Makes me feel so happy and excited about it as it means more places to try! My dad is definitely someone who loves to try new places as well and he really looks out for cafes with great ambience! Of course he also loves good old mee pok at the coffee shop, but when it comes to cafes, he hates those that are boring, stiff and ordinary. So, one day after lunch at Bronte (will be doing a post on this soon), we decided to head over to Baker & Cook in Greenwood, as my dad had seen it before and had raved to my mum and I about how nice it looked! 

As we walked over from Bronte (located at Greenwood Avenue) towards Baker & Cook, I saw the cutest dog ever!!! 


He's actually really huge and he was so calm and cute just sitting there!!! His head was SO huge! Wish my camera could have captured the size of it! Haha.

Ok sorry, a little off topic! 

1st visit


As soon as I walked into Baker & Cook, I knew I loved it! The lighting was warm and inviting, and their display of bread made everything looked delicious! Personally I HATE white light, and I really appreciate the use of good lighting to set the mood for a restaurant, so when I looked around Baker & Cook, I really loved what I saw! Their decor had a lot of browns and blacks and somehow reminded me of the restaurant that they showed in the movie 'It's complicated'! I'm not sure if Huiyi will agree??? (she wants to open a cafe like that!) 
Also, the bread,pastries and sweet delights looked like something I would see in a French Boulangerie! 



For a weekday afternoon, Baker & Cook was surprisingly very crowded! However, the place is very small so it may be difficult to find a table, especially if you are in a large group!


More people! 

Apart from just one large table inside the cafe, there are also few small tables outside the cafe! 

Cappuccino


Latte 

Our carrot cake that someone already started on! Haha. Forgot to snap a shot...and then it was too late!

Anyway, since we had already eaten so much at Bronte, it didn't leave us much room to try much at Baker & Cook, so we decided to come back another day to try more! :)

2nd visit

This time we returned for their brunch! Went back with my mum and dad, and also asked my cousin and aunt to come along! :) 

I LOVE FAMILY TIME!!!

Looks ultra fun! 





Here's a picture of the outdoor seating

My mumsicle!


Chicken pie with a side salad

This was recommended by the chef/owner, not sure who it was, but the pie was absolutely delicious! The pastry was light and fluffy and the filling was nice and tasty!

Salmon quiche with a side salad

I can't remember if I loved this or not, but I'm guessing that if I don't remember means I didn't love it? 

I love that all their pies/quiches come with a side salad! It's actually a really smart idea because they are able to charge a lot more. I think it's about $9.90 for a pie/quiche and salad, but it makes you feel as if you are eating a wholesome and satisfying meal instead of just a pie! 

Eggs Benedict

Their Eggs Benedict is quite different from any others that I have tasted! Instead of the usual ham, it is served with bacon instead. Also, the bread that it's served on is actually homemade bread from Baker & Cook! Unfortunately, I did find the bread a little hard and the hollandaise sauce a little too sour for my liking. I have tried quite a fair bit of Eggs Benedict, but this did not make the cut! 


Egg Mayonnaise Tartine 

This dish was served on Baker & Cook's homemade Pain Mache bread. 
They have a variety of Tartines such as salmon, tuna mayo, melted mozzarella and some others, but we decided on the Egg Mayonnaise Tartine served on top of avocado with capers and cress. 

Unfortunately! The bread was a little hard as well! :/ So the tartine was a little disappointing!

Strawberry Tart

After trying the strawberry tart at Drips at Tiong Bahru, this strawberry tart paled in comparison! The appearance itself didn't look as good as the one at Drips (will also be writing a post on that soon!) and the taste also fell short. 

The almond cake? I think! Can't really recall what this was, but as there are almonds on top, I'm assuming it is the almond cake. Haha! Nothing much to say about it! Nothing memorable obviously! 


Our last dessert - someone already took a bite! I was too late again!! 
This is the lemon tart!

It was not too bad, but really not exceptional or praise-worthy!! If I had to pick a place for a great lemon tart, that would be Loysel's Toy. Love the tart that they serve there!


Price:
The pie/quiche sets were about $9.90 if I am not wrong?
Coffees cost about $4-$5
Cakes and tarts were all around $4-$5

*Based on what I recall as I forgot to jot it down! Really sorry! 

The Meal: 
The food at Baker & Cook is certainly not something to rave about! Nor is it something to complain about either! However, it only got 2.5 donuts because I found the bread a little too hard for my liking, which was a pity since it is supposed to be known for its bread!

The Ambience:
LOVE the ambience there! The cafe just exudes warmth and cosiness in a very modern and clean way, that I just find so charming!

The Service:
The service was average! Nothing bad, nothing great. 

Overall:

After trying the brunch at Baker & Cook, I realised that I really was not a fan of their brunch and wouldn't return for it! On the other hand, their coffees and cakes are not too bad and their ambience is nice enough that it is easy to ignore the 'not so great' brunch! Since I still love the ambience of the cafe, I would definitely go back for a cup of coffee and slice of cake. 

Address:
77 Hilcrest Road, 
Greenwood, Singapore

Tel:
+65 6469 8834

Opening Hours:
Sunday - Thursday: 7am- 8pm
Friday - Saturday: 7am - 10pm

Menu:

I do hope you enjoyed reading this!

Have a wonderful weekend! :)

Love, 
Tiff 

No comments:

Post a Comment